In 1927, the firm was founded under the name of The Office of Lucien E.D Gaudreau, an architect and engineer from Boston Massachusetts, whose early career included railroad design and construction across the western United States at the turn of the nineteenth century. The practice was formed on work for religious communities and quickly expanded to schools and housing. In the late 1930s, he was joined by his eldest son and the firm was renamed Gaudreau and Gaudreau Architects. By the late 1950s, more sons and staff had joined, and the work had transformed into K-12 schools, academic and athletic buildings for colleges and universities, public sector office buildings and courthouses, and nursing homes across the country. Forty one years after its founding, the practice incorporated under the name of Gaudreau, Inc.
Today, 90 years later, a third generation of the Gaudreau family remains and continues the practice, celebrating the spirit and privilege of service excellence established by the founder, a true pioneer.
In the 1984, the firm established an award in honor of the founder, the Lucien E.D Gaudreau Award, given to individuals in the community who have made significant contribution to the built environment.
Gaudreau, Inc. has served a wide range of private and public sector clients, some spanning 40 years, including the McCormick Spice Company, St. Mary’s Seminary and University, the State and University of Maryland, the Archdiocese of Baltimore, and the Little Sisters of the Poor. Today, we continue this commitment to knowledge based service to deliver the highest levels of design and value to our clients around the region and across the country.